NewsLocal NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

LFD: Rue Royale apartment fire caused by electrical malfunction, no one injured

Posted at 2:44 PM, Feb 08, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-08 21:05:50-05

The Lafayette Fire Department responded shortly before 10 p.m. Friday night to a reported apartment fire on the 100 block of Rue Royale.

A neighbor in an adjacent apartment reported the fire, and when firefighters arrived, light smoke was emitting from the rear of the apartment.

An immediate evacuation of the three adjacent apartments was ordered for safety concerns, according to Lafayette Fire Department spokesperson Alton Trahan. Firefighters made forced entry to search for possible occupants, but the occupant was not home at the time.

Firefighters were able to quickly contain the fire to the apartment of origin. The fire was located between the walls in the kitchen area and spreading to the attic. The fire was quickly extinguished.

The interior of the apartment sustained smoke and water damage, and the attic sustained heavy fire damage. One of the adjacent apartments also had smoke damage.

Red Cross was requested to assist the occupants of the two apartments.

Fire officials determined the fire originated from a light switch in the kitchen. Trahan said there was an apparent electrical malfunction with the wires.

The cause of the fire was ruled an accident.