NewsLocal NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

LFD: No one injured in accidental house fire on Sunstone Ave.

Officials say workers accidentally turned burner on, combustibles ignited
Posted at 9:59 PM, Jan 03, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-03 23:05:12-05

The Lafayette Fire Department responded this afternoon to a call of a house fire on Sunstone Avenue.

Fire Department PIO Alton Trahan said that the homeowner arrived home around 4:30 this afternoon. When she opened the door, she found heavy smoke inside the home. She immediately called 911 and firefighters arrived within minutes.

Heavy smoke was coming from the home as emergency crews arrived. Firefighters entered the home and found the fire in the kitchen. Flames were extinguished within ten minutes, but the home suffered substantial fire and smoke damage.

Fire officials determined painters working in the home accidentally turned the burner on while painting cabinets earlier in the day. Combustibles on the stove ignited, starting the fire.

The fire was ruled an accident.