NewsYour Neighborhood Around AcadianaLafayette Parish


Lafayette apartment fire accidentally started by 5-year-old with lighter, no one injured

Lafayette Fire Dept.PNG
Posted at 6:58 PM, Mar 14, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-14 19:58:35-04

Lafayette firefighters responded to an apartment fire Saturday afternoon that was determined to have been accidentally set by a child in the residence.

LFD Spokesperson Alton Trahan said firefighters were called to an apartment fire in the 200 block of Loire Avenue shortly before 1 p.m. Saturday. Crews found smoke coming from an upstairs window.

The occupants of the apartment building were safely outside the building. Firefighters were told by the occupants of a specific apartment that the fire was upstairs in a bedroom and that the bed was on fire.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire within ten minutes before it spread to other areas of the apartment.

The bedroom was significantly damaged, while the rest of the apartment sustained heavy smoke damage. Two adult and three children were home when the fire started; one adult sustained a minor burn injury from trying to put the fire out.

The occupants of the apartment were displaced and the Red Cross was requested to assist.

Fire officials determined the fire originated on the bed in the upstairs bedroom. Trahan said a 5-year-old child was playing with a lighter and ignited the bedding material. The fire was ruled an accident.