NewsLocal NewsIn Your ParishLafayette Parish


UPDATE: Details on how LUS workers helped resident escape fire

Posted at 10:13 PM, Nov 15, 2020

We now know the names of those city workers who helped a lady and her dog escape a house fire last week.

Phillip Glover, Alvin Duhon, Zachary Landry, Eugene Broussard and Keithan Broussard were the LUS employees who helped a resident on Bellot Street - and her dog - get out of their home when it caught fire.

They also put the fire out, using a fire extinguisher.

"Thank you to our LUS employees for your bravery and selflessness!" a post on the LUS Facebook page states.

Here's the post:

Last week, Firefighters said the fire was ruled an accident.

On Friday, the Lafayette Fire Department responded to the house fire in the 300 block of Bellot Street.

The fire started in the kitchen, according to Alton Trahan, spokesperson for the Department.

City workers were across the street at the time of the fire. They were able to help an elderly woman and her dog escape, Trahan said. The workers were able to use a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.

The fire department says the fire originated in the kitchen on top of stove. The occupant turned the burners on to heat the house and a plastic container on one of the burners ignited catching other items nearby on fire.

The kitchen sustained heavy fire damage. The other parts of the home was heavily smoke damaged. The fire was ruled an accident.

No injuries reported.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Download our free app for Apple,Android, Roku and Amazon devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Alexa's Daily Flash Briefing

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel