This list shows the cancellations, closures and postponements of events taking place this week as a result of Hurricane Delta.
Virtual Festivals Acadiens et Creoles
With the approach of Hurricane Delta, Virtual Festivals Acadiens et Creoles has been postponed until Oct. 16-18.
State Office Closures
State offices in 13 parishes and Grand Isle will be closed Thursday, Oct. 8 in preparation for Hurricane Delta. The parishes that will be closed are Acadia, Assumption, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, Iberia, Jeff Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, St. Martin, St. Mary, Terrebonne and Vermilion, as well as the town of Grand Isle. All state offices will be closed statewide Friday, Oct. 9 through Sunday, Oct. 11. Another notice will be issued Sunday, Oct. 11.
Opelousas City Court
Opelousas City Court will be closed Friday, October 9, 2020 due to Hurricane Delta.
City of Opelousas
All City of Opelousas offices will be closed all day Friday, October 9.
The Broussard Planning and Zoning Commission meeting scheduled for Thursday, October 8 2020 at 6:00 pm has been canceled due to Hurricane Delta.
Due to Hurricane Delta, Mayor Ken Ritter has announced the city council meeting and public hearings that were scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 8 have been postponed to next Thursday, Oct. 15.
Virtual Live Gumbo Cooking Demonstration
The Greater Iberia Chamber of Commerce has annonced that due to inclement weather from Hurricane Delta, the Virtual Live Cooking Demonstration with Chef Amy Sins scheduled for this Saturday, Oct. 10, will be postponed. Please standby for new dates.
South Louisiana’s National Parks
All six sites of Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve as well as Acadian Cultural Center in Lafayette will close beginning Wednesday, October 6 at 5:00 pm, due to the threat of Hurricane Delta.
No decision has been reached as to a reopening date.
The following areas will be closed:
- Acadian Cultural Center, 501 Fisher Road, Lafayette
- Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve Headquarters and French Quarter Visitor Center, 419 Decatur Street, New Orleans
- Barataria Preserve, 6588 Barataria Boulevard, Marrero
- Chalmette Battlefield and National Cemetery, 8606 West St. Bernard Highway, Chalmette
- Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center, 314 St. Mary Street, Thibodaux
- Prairie Acadian Cultural Center, 250 West Park Avenue, Eunice
- New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park Headquarters (419 Decatur Street) and visitor center (916 North Peters Street), New Orleans
Due to inclement weather and the circumstances surrounding Hurricane Delta’s potential impact on the Acadiana region in the coming days, the LAGCOE’s 65th Anniversary Celebration has been postponed.
Boys and Girls Clubs of Acadiana
Acadiana’s 5 locations (Lafayette, New Iberia, Abbeville and Opelousas) will be closed on Thursday, October 8th and Friday October 9th
The Greater Iberia Chamber of Commerce Gumbo Cooking Demonstration
The Virtual Live Cooking Demonstration with Chef Amy Sins scheduled for this Saturday, will be postponed
Iberia Comprehensive Community Health Center, Inc., and its satellite sites
Iberia Comprehensive Community Health Center, Inc. and its satellite sites, Abbeville Community Health Center, St. Martin Parish Community Health Center, Surrey Street Community Health Center, Surrey Street Pediatrics Extension, Merryville Community Health Center, Sabine Comprehensive Health Clinic, and Vernon Parish Community Health Center will close for Hurricane Delta. All sites will reopen on Monday, October 12, 2020 at 8:00 am.
Acadiana Area Human Services District clinics
Dr. Joseph Henry Tyler Jr. Behavioral Health Clinic, New Iberia Behavioral Health, Crowley Behavioral Health, Opelousas Behavioral Health and Ville Platte Behavioral Health) will be CLOSED on Friday, October 8th due to Hurricane Delta. All appointments will be rescheduled. Right now, the clinics plan to re-open on Monday (10/12) at 8am.
16th Judicial District Court
The 16th Judicial District Court has orders the closures of Courthouse, Court Offices, and Clerk of Court Office to closure for Thursday, October 8, 2020 and Friday, October 9, 2020 in response to Hurricane Delta in Iberia, St. Martin and St. Mary Parishes.
Kaplan City Court
The Kaplan City Court Courthouse and Kaplan City Court Clerk of Court’s Office shall be physically closed to the general public on Thursday, October 8, 2020, and Friday, October 9, 2020. All defendants, witnesses, and attorneys who have court on October 8, 2020, shall return to the courthouse next week between Monday, October 12, 2020, and Friday, October 16, 2020, during the regular business hours of 8:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M. to be served with a November 12, 2020 Court Date.
The City Court of Lafayette
Operations will be suspended from Thursday October 8, 2020 at 1:00 pm until Friday October 9, 2020 unless extended by another order. They expect to reopen on Monday October 12, 2020 in which it will resume normal business hours.
All persons having business with the City Court of Lafayette, LA can continue to file civil pleadings, evictions, criminal pleadings and other matters with the appropriate department via fax or U.S. Mail;
· All civil pleadings, new petitions including new eviction proceeding, answers or other pleadings should be faxed to the court's civil department at (337) 291-8771 in accordance with Louisiana Code of Civil Procedure Article 850;
· All criminal/traffic motions or other filings should be faxed to the court's criminal/traffic department at (337) 291-8774.
· The court's mailing address is Post Office Box 3344, Lafayette, Louisiana 70502-3344;
More information can be obtained by going to the Court's website here
City of Opelousas
The City of Opelousas says that all city offices will be closed all day Friday October 9, 2020 in preparation for Hurricane Delta. City offices will resume operations on Monday October 12, 2020 at normal business hours if safe to do so. Updates will be provided.
St. Martin Parish Council on Aging
Due to impending weather, St. Martin Council on Aging will be closed on Friday, October 9th. Agency services such as Home-Delivered meals and Transportation will not be available but will resume on Monday, October 12th. For emergencies or help with evacuation, please contact the Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness at (337) 394-2812.
Teche Action Clinic - St. Mary Parish
Notice of Change in Operation Hours: Teche Action Clinics in St. Mary, St. James, St. John, Terrebonne, Lafourche and Assumption Parishes will be closed Friday, October 9th through Saturday, October 10th. All sites are scheduled to reopen on Monday, October 12th if conditions permit
Diocese of Lafayette Mass Cancellations
A reminder that the faithful of the Diocese of Lafayette continue to be dispensed from Mass. The faithful should only attend Mass if it is safe for themselves and their community to do so.
Mass Cancellations in the Diocese of Lafayette due to Hurricane Delta as of 10/10 at 2:00 PM:
Immaculate Heart of Mary in Crowley
- Saturday, October 1`0 - 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. (anticipated)
- Sunday, October 11 - 8 a.m., 10 a.m., 5 p.m.
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Chataigner
- Saturday, October 10 - 4 p.m.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help in New Iberia
- Mass will not be held at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday, October 10, due to no electricity. Mass will be held on Sunday, October 11, at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. with or without power.
St. Michael's in Crowley
- Due to the impending power outage for several days, all weekend masses for October 10 and 11 are canceled. For weekdays, mass will resume at 12:05 once power is restored. All parishioners of St. Michael Church continue to be dispensed from their Sunday obligation to attend mass, and are asked to keep the day holy through family prayer and fasting.
Sts. Peter and Paul in Scott
- Saturday, October 10 - 4 p.m.
- Sunday, October 11 - 6:30 a.m.; 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. mass pending weather (10 a.m. mass will be live-streamed if there is power)
St. Mathilda in Eunice
- Saturday, October 10 - 5:30 p.m.
Oschner Lafayette General
Due to the pending threat of Hurricane Delta, all Ochsner Lafayette General urgent care locations, professional centers, physician clinics, Cancer Center of Acadiana locations and the outpatient lab at Burdin Riehl will be closed on Friday, October 9. If road conditions allow it and if the facilities do not receive damage, urgent care centers will reopen on Saturday, October 10.
Patients are encouraged to use their app, Health Anywhere [lafayettegeneral.com], where they can connect virtually with medical professionals.
Officials ask if you are experiencing a medical emergency, please dial 911. All Ochsner Lafayette General hospitals are operating normally and providing all services including emergency care if needed.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers