NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

Scott FD: Child with lighter causes Wednesday morning house fire

Scott house fire 8-19.jpg
Sabine Drive House fire 1.jpg
Posted at 10:47 AM, Aug 19, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-19 12:27:42-04

Firefighters say a child playing with a lighter was the cause of an accidental house fire Wednesday morning in Lafayette Parish.

At around 7:33 a.m., the Scott Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire in the 100 Block of Sabine Drive. Upon arrival, firefighters say they observed heavy fire coming from the roof of the home.

Firefighters say they were able enter the home and faced with heavy fire. After around 15 minutes, the fire was brought under control.

Crews say the cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to a small child playing with a lighter in a bedroom. They say the child alerted someone in the house of the fire in the bedroom and both occupants escaped without injury.

No other injuries were sustained as a result of the fire. The house received major damage but no other damage was noted to nearby structures.

Fire Chief Chad Sonnier says that firefighters from Scott, Carencro, and Lafayette responded to the fire along with all other tanker trucks in the Parish due to lack of a water supply in the area.

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Download our free app for Apple, Android, Roku and Amazon devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Alexa's Daily Flash Briefing

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel