LAFAYETTE — The Lafayette Fire Department is investigating an overnight fire on Long Plantation Blvd.
Lafayette firefighters were called out to a structure fire at 11:14 p.m. last night in the 200 block of Long Plantation Boulevard. When first responders arrived on scene, smoke and flames were coming from the roof of a condominium at 209 Long Plantation Boulevard. The owner of the condo informed firefighters that the fire was in her attic. She began smelling something burning. She opened an access door to her attic and discovered it on fire. She immediately called 911. No injuries were reported, fire officials say.
Firefighters were on scene for 3 hours extinguishing the fire and assisting the owner. The home sustained heavy fire damage to the attic and roof. The interior of the apartment experienced substantial water damage while suppressing the fire. An adjacent condo sustained light water damage, fire officials say.
Fire officials determined the fire originated from the central heating system in the attic. The heater was in operation prior to the fire. An apparent malfunction occurred. Further examination into the cause of the fire will be conducted, officials say.