NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

Overheated clothes ignite causing fire at Scott laundry business

Scott commercial fire 12-17.jpg
Posted at 7:20 AM, Dec 18, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-18 08:20:52-05

A coin laundry business received minimal damage Thursday night following a fire caused by overheated clothes.

The Scott Fire Department says they responded to the fire around 8:46 pm on December 17 at the business located in the 300 block of Westgate Road.

Upon arrival, firefighters say they observed heavy smoke coming from the business.

The fire was brought quickly under control and confined to a corner of the building.

Firefighters say the cause of the fire was clothes overheating and igniting and spreading to a nearby machine and wall.

The fire was ruled accidental in nature, according to the department.

Damage to the structure was minimal.

The Lafayette, Duson and Judice fire departments responded to assist.

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel