NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

UPDATE: GoFundMe set up for family that lost home in Duson fire

duson fire_red background.jpg
Posted at 6:12 PM, Feb 20, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-21 17:35:03-05

UPDATE: The family who lost their home in this fire are asking for help.

A GoFundMe has been set up for those who can help. You can find it here.

Fire officials say space heaters caused a trailer fire Friday in Duson.

The Duson Fire Department was dispatched to the 500 block of Fifth Street for a residential fire after a caller advised they heard an explosion and their trailer was on fire.

Firefighters deployed pre-connected hand lines and began safely extinguishing the fire. The city's fire chief arrived on scene and advised responding units of water shuttling if needed due to the low water storage capacity in the town.

The fire was extinguished in 30 minutes, officials say.

Investigators determined that the fire started after electrical breakers shorted due to too many space heaters plugged into outlets.

Duson Fire officials are reminding residents of fire safety amid freezing temperatures. Space heaters should be kept a minimum of three feet away from other objects. Never overload a breaker, and never use your oven or stove top to warm your house.

Scott and Judice Fire Departments assisted in the fire.

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel