NewsLocal NewsIn Your ParishLafayette Parish


No injuries reported after house fire on St. Joseph Street

Posted at 8:10 PM, Jan 09, 2021

The Lafayette Fire Department says a Saturday night residential fire on St. Joseph Street started in the home's fireplace.

Firefighters responded to the call around 7 p.m. LFD Public Information Officer Alton Trahan confirms no injuries were reported in the fire.

Trahan says the homeowners were at home when they smelled smoke, heard a popping sound coming from behind the fire box, and saw the lights in the home blink on and off. The owners immediately called 911. When firefighters arrived on scene they found heavy smoke coming from the eaves and attic of the home.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire before it caused substantial damage. The fire remained contained to the fireplace and attic area of the home.

Investigators determined the wood structural members behind the fire box ignited. The heat from the fireplace ignited the wood members and the fire spread to the attic.

The home sustained minor damage, Trahan said.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel