NewsLafayette Parish


No injuries in apartment fire

Posted at 5:44 PM, Feb 17, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-17 18:44:26-05

No one was injured when fire burned an apartment on NW Evangeline Thruway today.

Lafayette firefighters were called out to an apartment fire at 2401 NW Evangeline Thruway, Northgate Apartments, at 1:00 p. m. today. The occupant of the apartment called 911 to report a fire behind her range. The tenant was in another room when she began smelling something burning in the kitchen. The fire was behind the range burning up the wall. Firefighters arrived on scene within minutes to heavy smoke coming from the two-story apartment building. First responders were able to extinguish the fire within ten minutes. The damage was contained to the kitchen wall and ceiling area. No injuries were reported.

Due to the damages, the occupants, mother and teenage son, were not able to remain in the unit. Two adjacent units had light smoke damage, but tenants were not affected by the fire.

The occupant was using the oven to heat the apartment. There was an apparent loose connection with the plug and outlet which caused an electrical arc. The cause of the fire was ruled an accident.