NewsLocal NewsIn Your ParishLafayette Parish


Morning fire on St. Charles Street damages family's home

Posted at 2:45 PM, Aug 17, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-17 15:45:41-04

The Lafayette Fire Department responded around 8:30 this morning to a house fire in the 100 block of St. Charles St.

Emergency dispatchers received a call from a neighbor indicated heavy smoke coming from the home. Firefighters arrived at the home within five minutes, where flames were coming from the front door and windows. The occupant of the home was outside.

First responders entered the home and discovered the living room engulfed in flames.

The fire was brought under control within twenty minutes and the home sustained heavy fire damage.

A firefighter sustained minor burns to his hand while combating the fire; he was treated and released.

The home was occupied by a husband and wife; the husband had gone to the store half an hour prior to the fire being reported. His 64-year-old wife was home when she noticed the fire in the living room.

The fire was on the sofa; the wife tried to extinguish the flames, but she couldn't.

While exiting the home, she sustained minor burns. She was transported to a local hospital for evaluation. She was treated and later released.

Fire investigators determined the fire originated on the sofa. It was discovered that the occupants had a battery pack for a drone charging on the sofa. Investigators suspect a malfunction with the battery pack or the charging system.

Further examination will be conducted; the fire was ruled an accident.