LAFAYETTE, La. – Drivers using parking meters in downtown Lafayette can expect changes to rates and enforcement hours effective Tuesday, January 19. Parking meter rates have not increased in eight years, and the adjustment from 50 cents per hour to $1 per hour reflects rates at the Vermilion Street Garage and the Rosa Parks Transportation Center, according to a spokesperson for Lafayette Consolidated Government (LCG).
In addition to the rate increase, parking meter enforcement hours will change. Currently, meters are monitored Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., but new enforcement hours will include nights and weekends. Meters will now be enforced 24 hours a day.
“Additional parking revenue could help with the many needs of downtown, such as security, maintenance of parking facilities and infrastructure,” Traffic, Roads & Bridges Department Director Warren Abadie.
“The DDA is interested in exploring any opportunity to generate revenue that can be put back into the district to make downtown more clean, safe, vibrant, and accessible,”
said Downtown Development Authority CEO Anita Begnaud. “If rates are being rightsized across the board and will result in additional revenue, we should be advocating that the additional revenue is dedicated to the priorities of the district.”
LCG is in the process of implementing mobile parking payments via any smart phone. It’s anticipated the service will be available sometime this summer. “We’re always looking for ways to make parking more intelligent. Currently, parking meters accept credit cards and coins, but the option to pay by phone will be faster, more convenient, and give customers the option to extend their parking time,” Abadie said.
KATC compared these rates to the three larger cities in the state. While New Orleans charges at least $1 more per hour, none of the other cities, including New Orleans, charge for parking overnight or on Sundays. Baton Rouge and Shreveport also offer free parking on Saturday as well.
- You have to pay to park at the meters Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Meter Rates:
- French Quarter, Marigny, Central Business District and Warehouse District – $3/hour.
- Other areas of New Orleans – $2/hour
- There is no charge to park in a metered spot on Sunday or the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Mardi Gras, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- The metered parking spaces are free after 6:00 p.m. (until 8:00 a.m. the next morning) Monday-Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday.
- All of the on-street spaces are FREE from 5 pm- 8 am Monday-Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday.
- 25 cents to park for 30 minutes
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers