NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

Family loses camper and two dogs in February fire; GoFundMe set up

105 Bourque Road fire jpg
Posted at 1:00 PM, Feb 25, 2021
and last updated 2021-04-01 00:01:37-04

A GoFundMe has been set up for a Lafayette Parish couple who lost their home and their two dogs in a fire in February.

The Lafayette Fire Department says they responded to a camper fire shortly after 9:00 am on February 25 in the 100 block of Bourque Road.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they say they camper was fully involved and the homeowner and her two dogs were still inside.

The department says that by the time fire crews reached the pets, both had died.

According to LDF, a female occupant was asleep in the camper when she began having trouble breathing. She awoke to a room full of smoke. Upon exiting, she discovered a fire in a storage compartment under the camper.

The woman attempted to save her two dogs, but firefighters say that neither would exit the camper.

The woman was assessed on the scene by Acadian Ambulance for smoke inhalation.

The department says that the couple lost everything in the fire. Two of their vehicles were also damaged by the intense heat.

Lafayette fire investigators determined an electrical failure in the storage compartment under the front of the camper caused the fire.

Firefighters from Judice, Milton, and Scott Fire Departments also responded to the scene.

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to raise funds for the couple, which can be found here.

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel