NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

Lafayette home damaged by fire on Monday

Sarah Dee Pkwy.jpg
Posted at 9:47 PM, May 11, 2020
and last updated 2020-05-11 22:47:14-04

Lafayette firefighters say that an electrical short caused a house fire on Monday afternoon.

Crews responded to the fire in the 200 block of Sarah Dee Parkway at 3:40 p.m. on Monday, May 11.

The fire department says that the initial 911 call was reported by the owner of the home. Four fire trucks and one ladder truck with twenty firefighters arrived on scene to a single family home's patio engulfed in flames.

Officials say the fire reached the attic and was venting through the roof. The interior of the home was catching on fire as emergency crews worked to get the fire under control. Within twenty minutes the quick moving blaze was under control.

The exterior and interior of the home sustained heavy fire damage.

The owner of the home was outside when she noticed smoke coming from the patio, a release states. She attempted to extinguish the fire, but it grew quickly and ignited the vinyl siding on the patio.

No injuries were reported.

Fire officials determined the fire originated on the patio. An electrical short in an extension cord is likely the cause of the fire. The fire was ruled an accident.

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Download our free app for Apple, Android, Roku and Amazon devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Alexa's Daily Flash Briefing

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel