CARENCRO — A fire that destroyed a home started after a child playing with a lighter ignited a piece of paper.
That fire happened on Monday, July 6 in the 100 block of Linares Street, just outside Carencro city limits.
According to Lafayette fire investigators, that paper fire spread to a bed in the home before spreading to the ceiling and attic. Once the fire reached the attic, it caused the home's roof to collapse. Everyone in the home escaped uninjured.
Investigators have ruled the fire an accident.