NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

House fire extinguished on Gerald Drive in Lafayette

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 6:44 PM, Jul 25, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-26 11:58:46-04

The smoke has cleared following a house fire on Gerald Drive in Lafayette.

According to witnesses, heavy smoke was seen coming from the roof of a home located in the 500 block of Gerald Drive.

Police say neighbors called police after they witnessed the heavy smoke; firefighters arrived on scene within two minutes. At least 20 firefighters responded.

The fire was brought under control in approximately 20 minutes, according to police. The fire spread to the attic, causing heavy fire damage.

Photos show damage to the roof line of the home.

No one was home at the time of the fire, police say. One of the occupants had left the home 25 minutes prior to the first report.

A passerby noticed the smoke and stopped to check if anyone was home. He was able to force the door open; three dogs escaped unharmed.

Fire officials determined the blaze started in the kitchen on the cooktop. The knob on the stove was accidentally turned on.

According to Lafayette Fire Department spokesperson Alton Trahan, plastic combustibles on the cooktop ignited spreading to the cabinets and rest of the home.