NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

Home burns; LFD says don't use stove to heat home

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 1:18 PM, Dec 20, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-20 14:18:31-05

One person had minor injuries and a house sustained heavy fire damage early Sunday, Lafayette firefighters say.

Firefighters were called to a home on Sunnyside Lane this morning at about 2 a.m., a spokesman says.

They found the resident in a safe place, but her home on fire. The fire was in the kitchen, and was brought under control within 15 minutes, but the house was heavily damaged, he said.

The home's resident told firefighters they were in bed asleep when they were awakened by burning embers falling from the ceiling. The resident opened the bedroom door and found the kitchen on fire. They got out of the home and went to a neighbor's, the spokesman said. The resident sustained minor injuries, the spokesman said.

Fire investigators determined the fire originated in the kitchen near the stove. The gas burners on the stove were being used to warm the home. The open flames ignited combustibles and quickly spread to the cabinets. The fire was ruled an accident, the spokesman said.

Fire investigators want to remind people of some safety tips for these cold nights:
· Never use stove top or oven to heat your home.
· Plug space heaters directly in wall outlet.
· Keep space heaters 3 feet from combustibles
· Turn space heaters off when not at home, in the room, or asleep.