A well-known Lafayette musician is in need of help after a fire destroyed his home last week.
Major Handy's wife and granddaughter were home when the fire started, and his wife was treated for minor burns. A firefighter also sustained minor injuries in the fire.
Investigators say a drone which was charging on the sofa sparked the fire. Also burned in the fire were Handy's instruments, and his wife's oxygen concentrator.
"You gotta keep on going. I'm just so happy my granddaughter, and my wife, and me are alright. The rest of it, we can work with it," said Major Handy.
A GoFundMe has been created to help the family - especially to replace his instruments. You can check it out here.
The fire was reported by a neighbor who saw heavy smoke pouring from the house, and fire trucks arrived within five minutes to find flames coming from the front door and windows. Handy's wife tried to put out the fire but wasn't able to. She was burned escaping the house and was treated and released from a local hospital.