NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

Family loses everything in morning fire on Belle Homme Drive in Lafayette

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 11:45 AM, Feb 11, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-11 12:45:29-05

A family in Lafayette is without a home after an early morning fire on Belle Homme Drive

According to the Lafayette Fire Department, the fire happened at around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday morning in the 200 block of Belle Homme Drive. After arriving on scene, firefighters say they saw flames venting through the roof of the home. A vehicle under the carport of the home was also on fire. Five occupants, two adults and three children were safely outside the home with their two dogs.

Officials say the family was asleep when one of the residents began to smell the smoke. She woke everyone up and quickly exited the home. No injuries were reported. The family did lose a cat in the fire.

The house and two vehicles sustained heavy fire damage. The intense fire caused heat damage to the exterior of the house next door.

The family, according to the Lafayette Fire Department lost everything in the early morning fire.

Fire investigators determined the fire originated in the laundry room. The fire was ignited by a malfunction with the hot water heater. The cause of the fire was ruled an accident