A popular Lafayette pizza restaurant has temporarily closed following a Wednesday night fire.
According to Deano's owner Tim Metcalf, Deano's South on Kaliste Saloom will be closed temporarily after a fire on August 4.
Firefighters responded to a report of smoke coming from the restaurant's roof around 1:10 Thursday morning. The call was reported by a Lafayette Police officer patrolling the area due to an alarm activation, LFD says. Firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the rooftop; the business was closed and no employees were on the premise.
Crews forced entry into the restaurant and found the fire in a bathroom near the kitchen that was spreading in an open space above the suspended ceiling. The fire was brought under control in 20 minutes. The majority of the damage was isolated to the bathroom, kitchen, and ceiling area; the seating area only sustained smoke damage.
According to LFD, the fire originated in a trash can in the bathroom. Employees with a janitorial company were the last ones to leave the restaurant and one of the employees accidentally discarded smoldering material in the trash can, LFD says.
"So, 2021 is definitely not being kind! Unfortunately we had a kitchen fire at Dean-O's South last night," Metcalf's Facebook post reads. "We will be closed temporarily."
KPEL spoke with Metcalf on Thursday and confirmed that the restaurant will be closed for about four weeks. The State Fire Marshal's Office is also investigating, he said.
Crews are working now to clean and sanitize the restaurant. LFD says the fire was ruled an accident.
See the Metcalf's post below:
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers