The Lafayette City and Parish councils meet today.
The Parish Council meeting starts at 4:30 p.m., with the City Council meeting to follow at 6 p.m.
To read about the Covid protocols and alternate ways to watch the meeting, scroll down.
Both councils will start their meetings with election of Chair and Vice Chair.
The Parish Council will consider a joint road project with the City of Scott, the auction of surplus items, appointments to parish boards and budget revisions for parish parks.
You can find the Parish Council agenda here.
The City Council plans an executive session to discuss several personal injury lawsuits filed against the city, and hear an update on a contract signed by the mayor-president with a local company to install cameras to watch Lafayette citizens and record their activities.
The Current wrote several stories on this contract; according to their reporting, the contract was signed without the knowledge of the councils, and the company hired does not have the required licenses to install the cameras. To read those stories, click here, here and here.
You can find the City Council agenda here.
Jointly, the councils will consider the allocation of $3.2 million in CARES funding to cover COVID-related expenses by LCG departments; to see how that money will be allocated click here. The councils also will jointly consider an ordinance setting up an agreement with the City Marshal's Office that covers the time between the formal removal of Brian Pope and the swearing-in of his successor.
ACCESSING COUNCIL MEETINGS & PUBLIC COMMENT PROCEDURES
Accessing Council Meetings:
• AOC2 Public Access Channel (Cox Channel 16 or LUS Fiber Channel 4)
• Online at the Lafayette Consolidated Government homepage at www.lafayettela.gov
• On the Ustream website at www.ustream.tv/channel/lafayette-consolidated-governmentcouncil-meeting
• In-person attendance allowed at 50% capacity of auditorium
• Masks must be worn to enter
Public Comment Procedures:
• If you DO NOT WISH TO SPEAK, but wish to state your support for or opposition to an item:
▪ Submit your comments via e-mail to DoNotSpeakCM@lafayettela.gov
▪ In your message, you must identify which Council meeting agenda you are calling about (City or Parish), then include the agenda item number, your name and your position (for or against)
▪ Emails must be received prior to 4:30 pm the day of the meeting
▪ Citizens still have the option to reach out to their individual Council Member(s) Please be advised that while social distancing and other requirements are in place, some matters have been suspended to focus on essential governmental business. While holding public meetings, safety guidelines will be implemented.