NewsLafayette Parish

Actions

Fire at Delta World Tire in Lafayette caused by electrical malfunction

Posted at 8:47 PM, Jun 09, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-10 07:04:25-04

A Tuesday night fire at Delta World Tire in Lafayette was caused by an electrical malfunction in a bathroom, according to Lafayette firefighters.

The Lafayette Fire Department says the incident was reported around 8:04 pm on June 9 after an individual driving by the business on Guilbeau Road noticed smoke and called 911.

According to firefighters, upon their arrival smoke could be seen exiting the large overhead doors of the business.

The fire was located in the storage area above a bathroom in the workshop and extinguished.

According to firefighters, the area sustained moderate fire damage. Smoke from the fire also spread to the workshop and portions of the business office.

An investigation by LFD determined that the fire originated in the bathroom and is believed to be caused by an electrical malfunction in a ceiling exhaust fan and light.

The malfunction, according to LFD, caused combustible material in the storage above the bathroom to ignite.

Firefighters say the business was closed at the time of the fire and that no injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire was ruled an accident by LFD.

------------------------------------------------------------
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.

Download our free app for Apple, Android, Roku and Amazon devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers

Alexa's Daily Flash Briefing

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Subscribe to our Youtube channel