A new initiative in Iberia Parish is putting the holiday spirit into locations around the parish.
The "Better Days On the Bayou" organization announced its community project, "Noel Iberia" at the New Iberia City Council and Iberia Parish Council meetings. The program aims to get city and parish officials to decorate areas of their district for the holidays.
District 6 Parish Council Member and Better Days On the Bayou co-founder Natalie Broussard touts the idea as a way for elected officials to showcase their areas while spreading cheer and goodwill.
"All too often, as elected officials, our tasks are to help constituent's with issues or problems. This is a way to do something fun in the community and foster greater joy and spirits for the holidays." Natalie Broussard.
According to a release, the program requires that each official agrees to pay for the holiday displays themselves, using no public funds.
A list of elected officials that have chosen to participate and the areas they will be decorating is below:
- Natalie Broussard, Iberia Parish Councilwoman - Entrance to City of New Iberia on Hwy 182
- Brad Davis, Iberia Parish Councilman Elect - Entrance to City of New Iberia on Hwy 182
- Eugene Olivier, Iberia Parish Councilman - Veteran's Memorial Triangle - Corner of Darnel Rd and LA Hwy 83
- Chad Maturin, Iberia Parish Councilman - P&A Valero - 3612 Coteau Rd
- Larry Richard, Iberia Parish President - Iberia Parish Courthouse
- Paul Landry, Iberia Parish Councilman - Pocket Park on Durperior; across from Mt. Carmel
- Lady Brown, Iberia Parish Councilwoman Elect - Majorie's Corner - 1400 Martin Luther King Drive, Jeanerette
- James Trahan, Iberia Parish Councilman Elect - Round-about at the Loreauville Rd / Belle Place Olivier Rd and Food-n-Fun at the intersection of Sugar Oaks Rd / Loreauville Rd.
- Beau Beaullieu, District 48 Representative Elect - 152 West Main Street
- New Iberia Mayor Freddie DeCourt / City Councilman Dustin Suire - The "Old Fire Station House" in the City Park
- Marlo Lewis, City Councilman - 734 Lombard Street