A New Iberia woman died Sunday in a fire, State Fire Marshal deputies say.
The Iberia Fire Department responded to the 200 block of Lost Lake Lane in New Iberia just before 8 a.m. They found the body of a woman in her 70s inside. A second occupant, a man also in his 70s, was transported to an area hospital with serious burn injuries.
Deputies learned from witness statements that an explosion occurred after the woman lit a cigarette.
At this time, investigators believe a natural gas leak was active surrounding the home, possibly due to damage to the home from Hurricane Delta, and that may have contributed to the reaction with the ignition of the cigarette. However, the investigation is ongoing.
It is important to note this death has *not* yet been confirmed as a storm-related death.
More information will be released as it becomes available.
Members of Acadiana's animal rescue community identified her and said that some of her beloved pets also were lost in the fire.
Here's that post:
You can read the SFM post here: