As part of Phase Two to replace the I-10 eastbound overpass over Interstate 49, the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announced the following lane and road closures, as well as detours, related to the work.
The overpass was damaged in January when a truck owned by Bebe Thrasher Trucking of Ville Platte crashed into it, police said. We asked DOTD what the estimated cost of the project is, and were told to make a public records request for the documents, so we've done that. We'll update this story after we receive a response to that request. Because it was an emergency project, there wasn't the usual bid process, a spokesman said.
We also asked if the state will be attempting to recoup the cost of the repairs from the company responsible for the damage, and DOTD officials told us there's a process that happens when someone damages roads, bridges, overpasses, etc. and that process is underway in this case as well. The spokesman said they couldn't provide details about it because it's not complete.
DOTD announces the following closures to allow crews to conduct work related to the I-10 emergency repair.
Wednesday, March 29: Interstate 49 northbound will be closed at the I-10 overpass from 8 p.m. - 5 a.m.
Thursday, March 30: Interstate 10 eastbound and I-49 northbound will be closed at the interchange from 8 p.m. - 5 a.m.
During this time, the following closures will remain in place.
- Interstate 10 eastbound overpass auxiliary lane (deceleration/acceleration lane)
- I-49 northbound exit ramp from I-10 (Exit 103B)
- I-10 eastbound on-ramp from I-49 (Exit 1A)
Detours for all closures include the following:
I-49 Northbound – Take the I-10 EB exit for Baton Rouge (Exit 1A). Once on I-10 EB, take the exit for Louisiana Avenue (Exit 104). Take a left at the stop sign and go under the overpass. Take the ramp to get on I-10 WB. Once on I-10 WB you can take the exit for Opelousas (Exit 103B) to access I-49 NB.
I-10 Eastbound – If traveling on I-10 EB, take the exit for Morgan City (Exit 103A) and merge onto the Evangeline Thruway. Take a left at the Willow Street intersection to gain access to the NB Evangeline Thruway. Take the I-10 EB exit for Baton Rouge (Exit 1A).
DOTD appreciates your patience and reminds you to please drive with caution, and be on the lookout for work crews and their equipment.
DOTD has the following resources in place to assist motorists.
- MyDOTD: Motorists can receive information on local projects, lane and road closures, and other DOTD activity by signing up for MyDOTD at www.dotd.la.gov.
- 511 Traveler Information: Travelers can also find information regarding road closures and traffic by visiting www.511la.org or by dialing 511 from their telephone and saying the route or region about which they are seeking information. Out-of-state travelers can access the system by calling 1-888-ROAD-511 (1-888-762-3511).