The Louisiana State Fire Marshal's Office is asking for residents to be mindful of generator use as the state is once again threatened by another tropical system.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFM) is reminding residents to keep safety in mind when utilizing portable generators and provided some safety tips.
“We have already seen far too many tragic losses of life due to carbon monoxide poisoning from the improper use of generators following Hurricane Laura,” said State Fire Marshal Chief H. “Butch” Browning, “We do not want to see even one more incident now that the southeastern portion of the state is preparing for Tropical Storm Sally.”
Generators produce carbon monoxide, which is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill without warning. Officials say that it is also imperative to have a carbon monoxide detector in the home.
Following Hurricane Laura, a number of deaths were reported as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The following generator safety tips were provided by SFM:
- Do not place generators inside of any structure including garages, carports and sheds
- Instead, place the generator at least 20 feet away from your home, down-wind away from open doors, windows and vents
- Before refueling, turn the generator off and allow it to cool for 15-20 minutes
- Never try to power the house wiring by plugging the generator into a wall outlet
- Instead, use a heavy-duty, outdoor extension cord to plug appliances into generators
- Do not use in rain or wet conditions
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers