The Louisiana Office of State Parks says that 15 of the state's 21 state parks will reopen in time for Labor Day Weekend.
Six state parks in southwest Louisiana will remain closed for repairs and improvements after Hurricane Laura caused significant damage in the area.
“Many of our State Parks lost power, large trees were downed over powerlines, but great efforts were made to keep campers safe and clear the debris in time for Labor Day weekend. If ever there was a time for us to gather with our families and show the world we are Louisiana Strong, this is it,” said Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser in a press release.
The office says that some overnight accommodations at Lake Chicot and Lake D’Arbonne State Parks are closed because they are housing crews restoring power or clearing the surrounding areas.
RV spots are available in all open state parks.
The state says that Sam Houston Jones State Park in Lake Charles was devastated by Hurricane Laura and will remain closed until further notice.
Work is ongoing to reschedule and refund all affected campsite and cabin reservations, the state says. Those needing to reschedule can call 877-226-7652.
Louisiana State Parks Now Open
- Bayou Segnette State Park, Westwego, LA
- Bogue Chitto State Park, Franklinton, LA
- Chemin-A-Haut State Park, Bastrop, LA
- Fairview State Park, Madisonville, LA
- Fontainebleu State Park, Mandeville, LA
- Lake Bruin State Park, St. Joseph, LA
- Poverty Point Reservoir State Park, Delhi, LA
- St. Bernard State Park, Braithewaite, LA
- Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, LA
Reopening on Friday, September 4, for Labor Day Weekend
- Cypremort State Park, Cypremort, LA
- Grand Isle State Park, Grand Isle, LA
- Lake Bistineau State Park, Doyline, LA
- Lake Claiborne State Park, Homer, LA
- Palmetto Island State Park, Abbeville, LA
- Jimmie Davis State Park, Chatham, LA
Closed until further notice
- Chicot State Park, Ville Platte, LA
- Lake D’Arbonne State Park, Farmerville, LA
- Lake Fausse Point State Park, St. Martinville, LA
- North Toledo Bend, Zwolle, LA
- South Toledo Bend, Anacoco, LA
- Sam Houston State Park, Lake Charles, LA
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers