NewsCovering Louisiana


NEW DETAILS: Woman who allegedly killed daughter attempts suicide

Posted at 3:59 PM, Jul 25, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-25 17:17:04-04


RAPIDES PARISH, La. - The 24-year-old Alexandria woman who was arrested Tuesday for the death of her 5-year-old daughter tried to commit suicide in the Rapides Parish jail Thursday morning, KALB reports.

Jasmine Anderson was arrested on a charge of second-degree murder in connection to the death of her daughter, Audrey Chelette. According to police, Anderson brought the child to the emergency room dead last week.

Anderson tried to hang herself in her cell, according to Sheriff William Earl Hilton. The attempt happened two minutes after her cell was checked, he stated.

The sheriff stated that medics did everything to bring her back because she flat lined. She left the jail with a pulse and transported to a local hospital.

According to the Town Talk, Anderson's 4-year-old son, Christopher Dawayne Chelette Jr., died in April after he allegedly choked on a plastic cap for a soda bottle.

Christopher Dawayne Chelette, the father of both children, died in February 2016.

The grandmother claims that CPS (Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services) failed her grandchildren and didn't respond to complaints until after Anderson tried to drown both children in a lake in 2017, the Town Talk reports. Anderson was committed for a few days and then released.

Read more from the Town Talk.

Posted: 12:04 PM, Jul 24, 2019

ALEXANDRIA, La. (AP) - Bond has been set at $500,000 for a 24-year-old Louisiana woman accused of killing her 5-year-old daughter.

KALB-TV reports Jasmine Anderson, of Alexandria, was arrested Tuesday for the second-degree murder of her daughter, Audrey Chelette.

Alexandria Police say Anderson was picked up Tuesday morning in Bunkie from a mental health facility and questioned before being processed into the parish jail Tuesday night.

Police say they were called July 17 to Christus St. Francis Cabrini Hospital. Authorities say the child was dead upon arrival and Anderson allegedly told hospital staff she had been in an accident and that her daughter's head and neck had struck the front passenger's side window.

Police have since said that the injury did "not seem consistent with what would occur during a crash."