NewsCovering Louisiana

Actions

Louisiana death toll for Laura is now 14

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 2:58 PM, Aug 30, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-30 15:58:20-04

Louisiana Department of Health on Sunday verifies two additional deaths tied to Hurricane Laura, bringing the state’s current death toll to 14.

A 57-year-old man in Calcasieu Parish died from a head injury after falling from a roof. Another resident in Calcasieu Parish died from carbon monoxide poisoning; LDH will provide additional details as it verifies them.

LDH now has verified 8 Hurricane Laura-related deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning—representing more than half of the total Laura-related deaths to date.

Below are details on the 14 deaths LDH has verified to date:

14-year-old female, Vernon Parish, fallen tree
51-year-old male, Jackson Parish, fallen tree
68-year-old male, Acadia Parish, fallen tree
64-year-old female, Allen Parish, fallen tree
Male, Calcasieu Parish, drowning
24-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
56-year-old female, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
61-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
81-year-old female, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
72-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
84-year-old male, Allen Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
80-year-old female, Allen Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
57-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, head injury after falling from roof
One resident, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning

Portable generators should never be used indoors. This includes in a garage, carport, basement, crawl space or other enclosed or partially enclosed area, even those with ventilation.

Gas-powered generators produce carbon monoxide which is odorless and colorless. Inhaling carbon monoxide can very quickly lead to full incapacitation or death.

Opening windows or doors or using fans will not prevent the build-up of carbon monoxide. If you start to feel sick, dizzy or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air immediately.

Generators should be placed outside, more than 20 feet away from the home, doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.

The generator should be kept dry and should not be used in wet conditions.