NewsCovering Louisiana


How to find help after Hurricane Delta

Helping Hands
Posted at 1:43 PM, Oct 12, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-14 14:37:07-04

We've put together a list of phone numbers you can call for help after Hurricane Delta. We will update this list as we get more information.

You can call 2-1-1 to access food assistance programs in your area.

We're keeping a running list of food distributions, you can find that list here.

Residents in Louisiana should call 2-1-1 or text “LAShelter898211” for evacuation, sheltering and other resources for immediate needs.

Visit for the latest information about road closures and traffic back-ups from the state Department of Transportation and Development. You can find interactive maps that show traffic flow, construction, closures, high water, crashes and closures.

If you need help getting a tarp on your house, or in cleaning up debris, we have a list of agencies offering help. You can see that here.

For the latest on FEMA assistance, click here.

Here are some tips from FEMA on separating debris:

Most parishes are asking that residents with damage fill out damage forms now; those assessments will help officials apply for state and federal assistance dollars for the parish.

The state also has a form. You can self-report damages to the state by visiting: St. Mary, Vermilion and Jeff Davis parish officials are asking residents to use the state form.

Here is the info we have on parish forms:

For Acadia Parish: Residents are asked to fill out this brief survey to report any damage to your home or business as a result of Hurricane Delta. Information collected here will help parish, state, and federal authorities understand how our Parish was impacted by this event. We can then move forward with requesting the necessary resources depending on overall damage. Here's the link to the survey:

For Evangeline Parish: If you live in Lone Pine, Johnson's Landing, Clark's Landing or the Clearwater area, and have flooding in your homes, please call the parish emergency office to report it, 337-363-3267.

For Iberia Parish, a phone bank has been set up for Iberia Parish residents with questions regarding hurricane Delta and damage reports following the storm. The Phone Bank will be open Monday through Friday from 8;30 am to 4:30 pm. To report damages by phone call 337-492-5451 Residents can also report damagesby using this link to send photographs of damage. The photos will be made available to the State and FEMA through a database with the Iberia Parish Government.
Iberia Parish asks the the public report their damages using that method in order to expedite the process.

For Lafayette Parish, a damage assessment form may be filled out online at []or over the phone at 337-291-5075.

For St. Landry Parish, If you had damage to your home or business, please complete the damage assessment form online Visit or

St. Landry Parish has requested federal assistance from FEMA. That aid won't be available until a federal disaster declaration has been made for St. Landry.

For St. Martin Parish, any resident or business owner that sustained damage, please contact the St. Martin Parish OHSEP Office at (337) 394-2808 or email When you call or email, please have the following information available: 1. Name and Address 2. Contact Information (phone and email) 3. Pictures of any and all damage 4. Whether you own or rent the property 5. Whether or not you have insurance coverage 6. Provide the type of home you have (mobile home, brick, wood, etc.) 7. Type of damage sustained

For Vermilion Parish, residents had damages to homes, are asked to self report your damages. You can upload pictures to

The Vermilion Economic Development Alliance has made a very simple online form to help assess Vermilion's post-storm situation. VEDA is encouraging business owners to fill out the form whether they were affected by Hurricane Laura, Hurricane Delta, or both. It can be accessed at:

Louisiana Baptist Disaster Relief will have Chainsaw and Recovery Teams available to assist homeowners with damage from Hurricane Delta in Vermillion Parish. This is a free service. Our teams are trained and have all the equipment necessary for tree removal. Priority is given to elderly, disabled, and residents with trees on homes. We do not do debris removal, but will do our best to assist with getting debris to the roadway. Find more information Request assistance from Louisiana Baptist Disaster Relief: An online application can be found here. Call 318-880-4383


Hurricane Laura and Delta may have resulted in the loss of important documents, but there are ways to replace them. Below is a list of some useful websites and telephone numbers:

  • The governor’s office has launched an online hub for Hurricane Laura information at , which highlight news and links to resources, including counseling services. People can also text LAURA to 67283.

Birth and Death Certificates:

Website: The Louisiana Department of Health State Registrar and Vital Records OfficeBirth and Death Certificates:

Louisiana is a "closed record" state. This means that birth and death certificates are not public records. All requests for birth or death certificates must include proper identification, appropriate fees, and a completed application.

Phone: Customer Service hotline: 504-593-5100 or email

Louisiana Driver Licenses:

Due to COVID-19 the Office of Motor Vehicles is requiring an appointment to renew or replace your license. Please check online for a location near you; visit Please note due to the aftermath of the storm, OMV locations in Calcasieu and Cameron parishes remain closed until further notice.

Marriage and Divorce Documents

The Louisiana Registrar and Vital Records office website is and has a link to request a copy of a marriage certificate. The Registry cannot issue a certified copy of a divorce decree. To obtain a certified copy of a divorce decree please contact the clerk of court in the parish where the divorce was granted.

Green Cards:

Phone: 800-375-5283

Social Security Cards:

Phone: 800-772-1213Website:

Identity Theft Resource Center:

Phone: 888-400-5530Website: or Email:

Medicare Cards:

Phone: 800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or go to

Federal Tax Returns:

  • Internal Revenue Service tax relief for Hurricane Laura survivors includes expedited refunds or delayed tax filings for individuals and businesses.
  • The IRS announced that survivors of Hurricane Laura have until Dec. 31, 2020, to file individual and business tax returns and make tax payments.
  • Visit for more information.

USDA Farm Services

  • The Farm Services Agency offers a variety of loans and grants to help agricultural producers recover from production and physical losses that result from disasters.


Military Records:

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as of June 24 the National Personnel Records Center entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. Their telephone number is unstaffed, so please log onto and apply on-line: NPRC's operating status.

Insurance Documents:

Louisiana Department of Insurance800-259-5300225-342-5900The Dept of Insurance’s Storm Damage Resource Center has information to assist individuals and businesses that suffered damage in Hurricane Laura. Visit answers to insurance questions or to dispute an insurance settlement

National Archives Records:

Phone: 866-272-6272Website:

]Website: Saving family records: To request legal help through FEMA Disaster Legal Services call 1-800-310-7029 or visit or