PINEVILLE, La. - Cleco customers who meet the eligibility requirements for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) can apply for assistance now by contacting their local community action agency. A list of Louisiana's agencies is available on the Louisiana Housing Corp. (LHC) website at https://www.lhc.la.gov/ (click on COVID-19 Energy Assistance).
"On Monday, the LHC announced that $13.9 million is available to help families, seniors and people with disabilities pay their energy bills during the COVID-19 pandemic," said Andre Guillory, director of metering, billing and revenue collection. "We've been coordinating with LHC for several weeks to ensure our customers who need help are aware of LIHEAP and know when and how to apply for assistance."
The $13.9 million is supplemental funding from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
LIHEAP, a federally funded program, helps low-income households with their home energy bills by providing payment and/or energy crisis assistance. Each state receives funds from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, so programs vary by state. LHC administers the funds in Louisiana through designated community action agencies across the state.
According to LHC, eligible applicants will be granted a $600 benefit in addition to any other LIHEAP funds for which they qualify. To qualify for LIHEAP funds, customers must provide the following:
· Copy of your heating and cooling bills for one month (not older than six months)
· Last four consecutive copies of check stubs for employed household members
· Proof of unearned income (Social Security, unemployment insurance, pension funds, disability, etc.)
· Proof of present address (rent receipt, lease or deed, etc.)
· Driver's license or picture ID of the head of household and Social Security card
· Proof of total members living in your household and their Social Security cards
Additional eligibility requirements may apply and assistance is not guaranteed. Assistance is available until funds are depleted.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers