BATON ROUGE – The Louisiana Workforce Commission recognizes the challenges faced by workers furloughed by the partial government shutdown. Furloughed federal employees who are impacted by the shutdown are subject to specific documentation requirements:
- Furlough notice or documentation if available
- A copy of the SF8 or SF50
- Proof of wages (W-2 or check stubs)
To file a claim, click the HiRE link at www.laworks.net. LWC Secretary Ava Dejoie said, “I’ve worked throughout my career with workers faced with the loss of a pay check. It is never easy, as with all unemployment insurance claims, wages offset benefits. The process is different for furloughed workers, being that another extremely important peculiarity exists. If Congress approves retroactive pay, which has been the norm after prior federal shutdowns, all workers who receive unemployment insurance benefits must repay all benefits received.
All required information can be provided to the LWC by either of these methods:
- Electronically (best option): The furloughed employee can file their unemployment claim through HiRE (www.louisianaworks.net/hire). Once logged in, go to Unemployment Services > Provide Specific Documents to upload the requested documentation.
- Fax: (225) 342-2856 (Attn: Special Claims Unit)
More information and frequently asked questions can be found at http://www.laworks.net/UnemploymentInsurance/UI_MainMenu.asp.