Voter Registration Week starts tomorrow in Louisiana. National Voter Registration Day is Tuesday.
Activities are planned across the nation aimed at registering eligible citizens to vote. The next regularly scheduled election in Louisiana is the congressional primary on Tuesday, Nov. 6.
“The first step to participating in the electoral process is registering to vote,” said Secretary of State Kyle Ardoin. “This fall, Louisianians will choose their congressional representation, as well as a host of other local races and propositions. Get registered today so your voice can be heard on Election Day.”
Louisiana was one of the first states in the nation to implement an easy, convenient online voter registration portal. Citizens with a valid Louisiana driver’s license or Louisiana Special ID card can register online 24 hours a day, seven days a week from the convenience of their home or office by visiting https://voterportal.sos.la.gov.
You can also register in person at your parish’s Registrar of Voters Office or when you apply for/renew your driver’s license at any Office of Motor Vehicles or when you obtain services at public assistance agencies and Armed Forces recruitment offices.
You can also register by mail. Citizens wishing to register by mail can download and print the application at http://www.sos.la.gov/ElectionsAndVoting/PublishedDocuments/ApplicationToRegisterToVote.pdf, or complete an application found at public libraries or through registration drives.
Here are the rules to register and vote in Louisiana.
- be a U.S. citizen;
- be at least 17 years old (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles) to register and 18 years old prior to the next election to vote;
- not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony;
- not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or partial interdiction with suspension of voting rights;
- be a resident in the state and parish in which you seek to register and vote;
- apply at least 20 days prior to an election if registering online or 30 days prior to an election if registering in person or by mail.
For a complete listing of activities in individual parishes, click here .