The Louisiana Secretary of State’s Office is encouraging eligible residents to register to vote as a part of Voter Registration Week.
Voter Registration Week begins on Monday, September 24 and will continue until Friday, September 28. The week coincides with the National Voter Registration Day which will take place on Tuesday, September 24.
A full list of activities will take place during the week-long event. For a list of voter registration events happening in your parish visit, www.sos.la.gov.
Registering to vote can be accomplished at any parish Registrar of Voters Office, Office of Motor Vehicles, public assistance agency, or Armed Forces recruitment office.
Louisiana residents must meet the following requirements for eligibility:
· be a U.S. citizen;
· be at least 17 years old (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles) to register and 18 years old prior to the next election to vote;
· not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony;
· not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or partial interdiction with suspension of voting rights;
· be a resident in the state and parish in which you seek to register and vote;
· apply at least 20 days prior to an election if registering online or 30 days prior to an election if registering in person or by mail.