The Abbeville Police Department has released a statement on the officer-involved shooting earlier this week.
That shooting which occurred Wednesday night, left one officer injured. A suspect, Nahshon Brooks was arrested Thursday in Lafayette Parish.
The statement is below:
We, the Abbeville Police Department, would like to thank several individuals, agencies and the citizens of Abbeville and the surrounding area for all of the support shown in the past few days. It is times like this that can either rip people apart or bring them together. First of all, our thoughts and prayers are with our “Sister in Blue” and her family. This officer has shown herself to be an outstanding asset to the Abbeville Police Department. This officer has always conducted herself as a great police officer and person. Her courage and fight will help her recover from this act of cowardness. In respect for her safety and privacy, the officer’s name is not being publicly released.
The Abbeville Police Department, to this point, has not publicly commented on this incident for several reasons. Not the least of which is the investigation itself. Although the officer did not fire her weapon, this was still an officer-involved shooting. Every officer-involved shooting with a member of the Abbeville Police Department is investigated by the Louisiana State Police. As a matter of practice, the Abbeville Police Department does not comment on the specifics of any ongoing investigations. We will not make any comment that may hinder their investigation in any way.
Abbeville Police Department Chief William “Bill” Spearman’s motto has been “Only together, can we keep Abbeville safe.” Chief Spearman believes in this motto so much that he has put it on the design of the patrol units. This incident has proven once again that when in need, law enforcement brothers and sisters come together to help each other out. Chief Spearman and the Abbeville Police Department would like to thank the following agencies for their assistance in this matter, from the immediate aftermath of the incident through several days after. If there are any agencies that were accidentally omitted, we sincerely apologize. All of the support that we have received and are continuing to receive is tremendously appreciated.
• Louisiana State Police
• Vermilion Parish Sheriff’s Office
• Lafayette Police Department
• U.S. Marshall’s Service
• Abbeville City Marshall’s Office
• St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office
• St. Martinville Police Department
• LA Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries
• Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office
• Vermilion Parish Metro Narcotics Task Force
• Erath Police Department
• Chitimacha Tribal Police Department
• Carencro Police Department
• Youngsville Police Department
• LA Department of Probation and Parole
• Duson Police Department
• New Iberia Police Department
• U.S. Department of Homeland Security
• U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
• LA Association of Chiefs of Police
• Southwest Louisiana Association of Chiefs of Police
• Acadian Ambulance Services, Inc.