NewsLocal NewsIn Your Parish


Delcambre family loses everything in stovetop fire

Posted at 10:04 PM, Sep 24, 2018
and last updated 2018-09-25 09:40:59-04

A Delcambre family is in a hotel after losing everything in a house fire Sunday afternoon.

Chevaun Walters had just put grease on the stove while waiting for it to heat. Moments later, he fell asleep on the couch and he says when he woke up he saw the flames and rushed to save his family.

“I fell asleep. It wasn’t really intentional, I didn’t even know I was tired. I was just watching tv and then I passed out and when I woke up I just seen the flames and it went on from there,” Chevaun said.

Walters didn’t know his mother was already at work. He screamed in agony trying to find her, only to realize she was gone. His sister, Jaycianna Walters was in her room asleep, she woke up from what she thought was a dream.

“Once it got to a certain point where he was screaming so much I woke up, and I’m thankful I told myself to wake up because if not I probably wouldn’t be here, I probably wouldn’t have made it,” Jaycianna said.

Their mother, Chadrice Walters, received several hysterical phone calls from her children and neighbors. It wasn’t until she actually pulled up to her house that reality sank in.

“Well, I’m just trying to stay positive because everything happens for a reason. I don’t know what the reasoning is but I know there is going to be a bigger outcome. There is going to be a greater reason why this happened,” Chadrice said.

The family says although there is nothing left of their home except charred remains, they are just happy they have each other. They said their next step is just beginning to build from square one.

The family says anyhelp is greatly appreciated.