NewsAround Acadiana


Lafayette firefighters helping one of their own

Posted at 9:08 PM, Jun 08, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-08 23:27:38-04

As kids left school for summer break, 11-year-old Micah Carranza was diagnosed with strep throat and the flu. Five days later his illness took a turn for the worse.

Nicole Boudreaux took her son to the emergency room one night, an action she’s glad she took. “I was actually told if we hadn’t brought him, he would’ve died in his sleep,” Boudreaux said.

Micah developed acute respiratory distress syndrome, ARDS. His lungs filled up with fluid. The 11-year-old was then airlifted to New Orleans. There, he was put into a medically induced coma.

“His lungs were what they call fully whited out, meaning they don’t move barely any air,” his mother explained.

11-year-old Micah Carranza starts physical therapy to regain strength.

Micah’s father, Lafayette Fire Captain Louis Carranza, has been by his side the entire time – almost two weeks.

Although he is missing several shifts, including a second part-time job, his second family, the fire department, is supporting him in many ways.

“They’ve stepped up and donated vacation days so that way I’m not actually missing work. In fact, they told me don’t worry, we have you covered,” Carranza said.

That’s not all, Firefighter Brennan Pope started a go fund me.

Fire Fighter Brennan Pope and Engineer Eli face-time their captain’s son.

Pope said after a phone call with Carranza about work, he felt he should do it.

“I was laying in bed with my son, and well these guys are family in this department, so I just thought it was the right thing to do,” Pope explained.

Although firefighters look out for each other, Carranza says the kind act was unexpected.

“That kind of support, coming from somebody who was just a co-worker, that meant a lot.  He already knows we’re missing work. Missing income. And the travel expenses, and then the medical bills that will come along after,” The fire captain said.

Micha is expected to make a full recovery but will remain in the hospital for the next week. Today the 11-year-old was able to go outside today for the first time since being hospitalized 12 days ago.

“I can barely walk ‘he’s trying’ but I went outside for the first time today, in a wheelchair ‘hows that? It’s hot!’ Yeah, it’s hot.” Micah said over face time.

You can donate to the family here.

Friends and family are also organizing a fundraiser event at the Agave on Kaliste Saloom for June 19.