NewsLocal NewsIn Your Parish


Scott church spared from fire on nearby utility pole

Posted at 6:06 PM, Jun 03, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-03 19:06:34-04

Firefighters responded to Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church located on Spanish Trail in Scott Monday afternoon in reference to an electrical fire on a pole providing power to the church and rectory.

Upon arrival, firefighters observed the transformer and wires on the service pole next to the church on fire, according to Chief Chad Sonnier, Scott Volunteer Fire Dept.

Firefighters made entry into the structure with thermal equipment to confirm the fire did not spread into the building.

The fire was confined to the pole and did not spread to the church.

The power company arrived on scene and determined an overloaded circuit probably started the fire, stated Sonnier

There was no damage to the church or rectory as a result of the fire.

Once secured, the scene was turned over to the electrical company so the proper repairs could be made.