NewsAround Acadiana

Actions

More details about Cameron Street house fire

Posted at 7:00 PM, Apr 12, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-12 21:00:34-04

Scott Fire Chief Chad Sonnier says the cause of a house fire on Cameron Street Thursday was accidental in nature.

As a result of the damage to the home, investigators were unable to locate exactly where the fire started, but they are nearly certain it originated in the attic. The chief says electrical issues cannot be ruled out as the cause.

Cameron-Street-Fire
Courtesy Scott Police Dept.

Firefighters responded to the fire in the 7000 block of Cameron Street at 5:19 pm on Thursday, April 11.

Officials say they observed heavy smoke coming from the residence with heavy fire in the attic area of the home.

Most of the fire was brought under control, but firefighters say the construction of the home’s roof impeded crews from extinguishing the fire in the attic. The home’s metal roof had been installed directly on top of a shingle tar roof and had to be removed with heavy equipment in order for crews to access the attic fire.

Firefighters did attempt to access the fire for several hours by other means before resorting to roof removal, according to a release.

Once access was made, the fire was quickly extinguished, firefighters say.

Several agencies were on scene to assist with the fire.

One person was inside the home at the time of the fire but was able to escape after the homeowner, who was outside the home when the fire started, noticed the smoke.

Agencies responding to Lafayette house fire