NewsLocal NewsIn Your Parish


Improperly discarded cigarette cause of Scott fire

Posted at 3:40 PM, Apr 01, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-01 16:40:55-04

SCOTT, La. – An improperly discarded cigarette is the cause of a Monday morning fire in Scott.

On Monday, April 1, 2019, at 11:41 a.m., Scott Fire Department was dispatched to a residential fire in the 2800 block of Mills Road. Upon arrival, firefighters observed a shed between two manufactured homes engulfed in fire. The fire had already spread to the homes located on each side of the shed. The residents of both homes were able to escape prior to firefighter’s arrival.

Firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire at both residences under control. One residence received minimal exterior damage, with the second receiving moderate damage to the exterior and portion of the interior.

An investigation into the incident revealed the fire to be accidental in nature. The fire was initiated by an improperly discarded cigarette, which ignited the shed, said Sonnier.

No firefighters or civilians were injured as a result of the incident.