NewsAround Acadiana


LFD: House fire caused by spontaneous combustion

Posted at 4:30 PM, Mar 15, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-15 17:31:38-04

Fire investigators determined the fire that destroyed the home in the 100 block of Karen Drive was the result of spontaneous combustion.

Karen Drive house fire
Lafayette firefighters responded to a house fire on Karen Drive.

Officials say the home was being renovated at the time of the fire.

Workers were utilizing an oil-based stain inside the home. Officials believe the oil-based rags used in the application of the stain were not disposed of properly.

The cause of the fire was ruled an accident.

The Lafayette Fire Department released these tips on how to avoid these types of fire.

It’s recommended that any rags soaked with oil-based stain, linseed oil, etc. should be

  •  Stored or disposed of in a water-filled, closed metal container. Dispose of the product at a disposal facility
  • Lay out or hang in a single layer outside to dry and dispose of according to garbage pickup service contract or hazardous disposal facility.
Karen Drive fire
Photo of damage done to unoccupied home on Karen Drive in Lafayette.
Lafayette Fire Department