NewsAround Acadiana


No one injured in fire; extension cord overheated

Posted at 2:20 PM, Mar 10, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-10 16:42:15-04

Lafayette Firefighters were called to a home on fire last night.

The call came at about 10:30 p.m. When firefighters arrived at the home in the 400 block of W. Bachert Street, they found flames coming through a rear window of the house, a spokesman said. They brought the fire under control in about 10 minutes; the inside of the house sustained moderate fire and smoke damage, the spokesman said.

The person who lived at the house had left a few hours prior to the report of the fire. No one was injured, but teh resident didn’t have any insurance.

Fire investigators determined the fire originated in the kitchen area due to an electrical short. An extension cord plugged into a window air conditioner unit overheated. The cause of the fire was ruled an accident, the spokesman said.