NewsAround Acadiana


Minor injuries reported in Lafayette duplex fire

Posted at 9:02 PM, Dec 05, 2018
and last updated 2018-12-05 23:53:43-05

An elderly man is being treated for smoke inhalation following a fire at his Lafayette duplex tonight.

Firefighters responded to the fire in the 1100 block of Irene Street at 7:48 p.m. after a neighbor called 911 when she heard the smoke alarm and smelled smoke.

The inside of the home was filled with smoke when firefighters arrived. They found the man inside his bedroom, according to a spokesman with the Lafayette Fire Department He was then taken to the hospital.

The fire started on the kitchen stove after the burner was left on, the spokesman says. The fire was contained to the kitchen.

The fire caused minor damage to the residence and no damage to the adjacent residence,

The fire was ruled an accident.