NewsLocal NewsIn Your Parish


Nine-year-old girl suffers first-degree burns sitting next to fire

Posted at 10:02 PM, Nov 10, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-11 13:27:21-05

A nine-year-old girl is in recovery after receiving minor to first-degree burns to her face, left ear and scalp following an incident in Scott this evening.

Firefighters responded to a call at 6:13 p.m. about a possible burn victim in the 200 block of Mills Street.

Fire investigators determined someone was pouring gasoline onto a small fire atop some stacked wood when the container of gasoline ignited in his hands, causing his jacket to also catch fire.

According to a spokesman with the Scott Fire Department, the person then kicked the container while in flames toward the fire, splashing gasoline around the fire.

As a result, the nine-year-old victim sitting next to the fire was burned, the spokesman says.

Before firefighters arrived, the mother of the victim left to bring her to the hospital.

The spokesman says the girl’s burns aren’t life-threatening, and she is expected to make a full recovery.