Ten startup companies from across the country are teaming up with Acadiana health organizations for the Accelerate South program.
For the next four months, companies chosen for the Accelerate South program will be assisted by a host of healthcare partners, investors and subject matter experts to identify challenges and opportunities while strategically helping to move their business forward. Accelerate South will run from August 28, 2018, until late November in the Opportunity Machine incubator. Startups throughout the duration of the program will work through individually tailored curricula at different capacities alternating between onsite and virtual weeks.
“I think there’s a trend of both outside businesses coming down here for all the incentives I’ve mentioned, said Reece Theriot, Director of Accelerate South. “And then I think there’s a huge trend of local businesses kind of looking around and saying, ‘man that business can do it, we can do it.”
The U.S. Economic Development Administration awarded a $700,000 matching grant through Winrock International in partnership with the University of Louisiana Lafayette, Lafayette Economic Development Authority and Community Foundation of Acadiana. The grant pays for operational costs and professional services to run two business accelerators throughout the Acadiana region.
The first thirteen-week accelerator was called Accelerate Acadiana and ended Nov 2, 2017. This program allowed applicants from a variety of vertical markets including energy, healthcare and technology.
ACCELERATE SOUTH STARTUPS
- Fairway Biomed (St. Louis, MO) bleeding control in resection surgeries done in the liver, kidney, and lungs.
- NeuroRescue (Columbus, OH) prehospital medical device to begin induced hypothermia protocol.
- Birya Biotech (Baltimore, MD) improving the quality of life for those battling severe allergies.
- F3 Healthcare (Carrboro, NC) reducing opioid usage after surgical discharge with patient experience indicators.
- Hera Health Solutions (Atlanta, Ga) biodegradable long-term drug delivery implant.
- Cure Global (Pineville, La) telehealth for correctional facilities.
- Insight Optics (Atlanta, Ga) retinal diagnostic platform for primary care physicians.
- Levisonics (New Orleans, La) non-contact analysis of blood coagulation and fluid quality control testing.
- ThinkGenetic (Boston, Ma) cutting-edge genetic diagnostic tool
- ExperonHealth (Lafayette, La) predictive tools to maximize resources throughout healthcare facilities and enhance patient visibility.