NewsLocal NewsIn Your ParishLafayette Parish


Woman and pet dog die in Lafayette apartment fire

Posted at 6:21 AM, Aug 17, 2018
and last updated 2018-08-17 12:03:45-04

UPDATE: A woman and her pet dog died on Thursday after a fire at a Lafayette apartment complex.

A 911 caller reported heavy smoke coming from a unit located at the Bayou Oaks Apartments on Feu Follet Road.

Lafayette firefighters say when they arrived on the scene smoke was billowing out of a downstairs apartment.

According to a spokesperson for the Lafayette Fire Department, firefighters immediately began search and rescue operations while simultaneously extinguishing the fire.

Firefighters found 70-year-old Sandra Alsbrook unconscious inside the home. She received immediate medical care and was taken to the hospital where she later died.

The spokesperson says Alsbrook lived in the apartment with her husband. The couple’s pet dog also died in the fire. Alsbrook’s husband was not home at the time of the fire.

Fire investigators have determined that the fire was started by an unattended pot of grease on the stove. The kitchen received moderate damage. The adjacent apartments sustained light smoke damage.

The fire was brought under control within ten minutes.