The Vermilion Parish School Board has delayed the start date for students to August 27. Pre-K students are to report on August 31, with kindergarten students reporting on September 1.
A face covering policy was one of the many items the Vermilion Parish school board worked to approved before the start of the school year.
The board adopted the policy that requires those on campus to wear solid colored masks at all times. VPSB says that the face coverings are an important part of our protection against the spread of COVID-19, as well as, personal hygiene, social distancing, and enhanced cleaning efforts.
Read that policy below:
o Masks are mandated for all VPSB employees at all times while on campus, including instructional delivery.
o Students in grades 3 and above will be required to wear a mask at all times while on the bus and on campus.
Face coverings are required for everyone 3rd grade and above except for the following:
- Anyone who has a medical condition that prevents the wearing of a face covering
- Anyone who is consuming a drink or food
- Anyone who is trying to communicate with a person who is hearing impaired
- Anyone who is giving a speech for broadcast or to an audience ○ If not wearing a mask during instructional delivery, teachers must maintain a minimum 6 foot distance, wear a face shield, and teach from a stationary location. o Masks are strongly recommended for children ages 2 to 7 (Early Childhood – 2nd grade) VRML Strong Start 2020 Reopening Plan 12
o VPSB employees who are considered at-risk, as outlined by the CDC recommendations, may be exempt from the mask requirement upon presentation of a doctor’s excuse to their Principal and VPSB Risk Manager.
o Students who are considered at-risk, as outlined by the CDC recommendations, may be exempt from the mask requirement upon presentation of a doctor’s excuse to their Principal.
**Social distancing should still be practiced to the maximum extent possible even with the use of face covering/mask.
Allowable Face Coverings For Students:
- Cloth, disposable or clear window masks and neck gaiter are allowed.
- Face shields in conjunction with masks are allowable.
- Bandanas are not allowed. F
- ace coverings including masks and neck gaiters must be solid in color and have no emblems, logos or writing.
- Face coverings that include logos will be provided by the VPSB and/or must be approved by VPSB.
Face coverings should be worn as to cover both nose and mouth.
Guidelines for Non-Compliance (Refusal):
1st offense – Verbal Warning
2nd offense – Parent Conference
3rd offense – Detention
4th offense - Students who continue to refuse to wear a face covering as outlined in the VPSB face-covering policy will be required to enroll in Virtual Vermilion.
This face-covering policy is mandatory for grades 3rd – 12th.
For more on the VPSB back to school plans, click here
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
To reach the newsroom or report a typo/correction, click HERE.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Evening News Headlines, Latest COVID-19 Headlines, Morning News Headlines, Special Offers