As strong storms are expected to move into the area, a few schools have announced that they will be closed Thursday.
Not everyone is out for spring / Easter break this week, and with that increased risk of storms, some of those schools have decided to close.
As of 7:00 p.m. The Diocese of Lafayette says that all but one Catholic schools in the diocese will be closed. Teurlings Catholic which will have their Passion Play and dismiss after the play.
Other school closures are below:
- E.J. Sam Accelerated School
- Covenant Preschool in Lafayette
- All (3) campuses of Ascension Episcopal School
- Lafayette Christian Academy
- Christ Church Academy in Lafayette
- New Beginning Christian Academy in Breaux Bridge
- Youngsville Christian School
- (Chitimacha Tribal School) and daycare (Yaamahana)
- Liberty Christian School in Breaux Bridge
Superintendent of Evangeline Parish Schools Darwan Lazard advises that all public schools will be closed Thursday, April 18, due to impending weather.
Evangeline Parish starts their break on Friday, April 19, 2019. They will reopen after the holiday break on Monday, April 29, 2019.
All principals, assistant principals, custodial and maintenance staff along with supervisors, central office workers, and media center secretaries are to report to work at normal times.
All Jeff Davis Parish public schools will now be closed on Thursday, April 18, 2019.
Other early release or closures in Jeff Davis:
- Our Lady Immaculate Catholic school in Jennings will dismiss at 11:30 am
- Bethel Chrisitan School in Jennings be closed Thursday.
- Save the Children Jeff Davis Head Start both Jennings and Elton center will be closed
Public schools in Acadia, St. Mary, St. Landry, Iberia, St. Martin, and Vermilion are off this week for Easter / Spring Break holiday.
For the latest on weather conditions in the near future, click here: Mid-afternoon Wednesday briefing and timing of expected severe weather Thursday