Elderly man not home when fire broke out

Posted at 3:25 PM, Apr 16, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-16 17:35:48-04

LAFAYETTE, La. – An 88-year-old man was not home when his Lafayette home caught fire Tuesday morning.

Firefighters responded to smoke coming from a home in the 100 block of Darrell Street around 11:30 am, according to Alton Trahan, spokesperson for the Lafayette Fire Dept. Several phone calls were received from neighbors reporting heavy smoke emitting from the home. Firefighters were on scene within five minutes, stated Trahan.

Firefighters gained entry into the home to

Firefighters didn’t find anyone inside the home after conducting a quick search. The fire was discovered inside the living room and was quickly extinguished, however, not before causing moderate fire and smoke damage, according to the spokesperson.

The occupant, an 88 year old man, who lived alone was not home when the fire was reported. He arrived on scene prior to fire officials departing the scene. American Red Cross was called to assist him with immediate housing and personal assistance due to the damage.

Fire officials determined the fire originated in the living room due to an electrical failure with an extension cord.

The cause of the fire was ruled an accident.